Learning Disabilities in Miami, FL
WeMind Institute specializes in pediatric neurological care, as well as treatment for headaches and migraines, testing for ADHD, and children with autism. We offer diagnostic services for pediatric learning disabilities for children who live in Miami, Doral, the greater Miami area, and the surrounding areas of Florida.
What Are Learning Disabilities?
Learning disabilities are neurologically-based processing problems. These processing problems can interfere with learning basic skills such as reading, writing and/or math. Since difficulties with reading, writing and/or math are recognizable problems during the school years, the signs and symptoms of learning disabilities are most often diagnosed during that time. Currently there are 2.3 million students diagnosed with a specific learning disability.
What are the Signs of Learning Disabilities in Children?
Children with learning disabilities may show a range of indications that learning is especially difficult, such as:
- Difficulties with verbal comprehension
- Difficulties following listening or following instructions
- Difficulty telling time
- Academic challenges in the areas of reading, math, and writing
What Are the Different Learning Disorders in Children?
Learning disabilities in children can be categorized as followed:
- Dyslexia: Affects reading and related language-based processing skills. Every child’s severity can differ but can affect reading fluency, decoding, reading comprehension, recall, writing and spelling.
- Dyscalculia: affects a person’s ability to understand numbers and learn math facts. Children with dyscalculia can have poor comprehension of math symbols, may struggle with memorizing and organizing numbers, have difficulty telling time, or have trouble with counting.
- Dysgraphia: affects a child’s handwriting ability and fine motor skills. Children with dysgraphia can struggle with illegible handwriting, inconsistent spacing, poor spatial planning on paper, poor spelling, and difficulty composing writing as well as thinking and writing at the same time.
- Auditory Processing Disorder: affects how sound is processed or interpreted by the brain. Children with APD has difficulties recognizing differences between sounds in words even if the volume is loud. They have difficulties telling where sounds are coming from, making sense of the order of sounds, and blocking out competing background noises.
How Are Learning Disabilities in Children Diagnosed and Treated?
If you suspect that your child has a learning disability, the first step is to have your child evaluated by a pediatric neurologist to rule out other possible causes of learning difficulties. Depending on the results, if your child needs further evaluation a referral to an Audiologist or Psychologist will be given to evaluate for specific learning disabilities. A learning disability a lifelong diagnosis that cannot be cured or fixed, however, with appropriate support and intervention, children with learning disabilities can achieve success in school.
Why Choose We Mind Institute for Pediatric Neurology Treatment?
WeMind Institute works with children from birth to approximately 22 years old. Dr. Vasconcellos is a board-certified neurologist who specializes in pediatric neurology and headache medicine for families in Miami, Doral, the greater Miami area and surrounding communities in Florida. We also specialize in pediatric headaches and migraines, testing for ADHD, and working with children who have autism. WeMind Institute is known for offering the QbTest to diagnose ADHD, and we link parents with supplemental community programs for children with neurological disorders, including scholarships and school programs.
Dr. Elza Vasconcellos is a board-certified neurologist who specializes in pediatric neurology and headache medicine for families in Miami, Doral, the greater Miami area, and the surrounding communities in Florida. Contact us today to learn more about our services for pediatric learning disabilities and schedule an appointment.